Textile Embroidered Landscapes I with Lorraine Turner
Requirements and Class Prep Information
- Background fabric cut to 19” x 22”. Duck cloth
100% un-bleached natural cotton, used in making
canvas tote bags, I use 10 oz. weight. The finished art
will be 11” x 14”
- Sewing machine* in good working order with ability
to do free motion
- Darning foot and spare bobbins for your machine
- Black and white copy of supplied image, printed at
11” x 14” and cut out. Cacti with bloom.
- Color copy of supplied image, printed at 8.5x11” to
use as a reference.
- Masking tape
- Fine glass head pins
- Jeans/Demin (size 90) machine sewing needles, two
- Paper scissors and small fabric scissors.
- Assorted cotton fabric prints for applique of the
design. Bring as much as you’d like.
- 8” wooden hand embroidery hoop
- Black fine line pen (ie Sharpie – ultra fine point)
- White dressmakers chalk (for marking any darks)
- HB and B graphite pencils, sharpener and eraser
- Tape measure
- 50 weight 100% cotton sewing thread in a variety of
colors, you may need up to 30 colors for blending as
well as darker shades for adding detail and outlines.
Note: If you happen to have a supply of poly threads,
then please feel free to use them. We will be blending
with fabrics you have chosen, so this will help you
choose your threads.
You will need fabrics that are in three tones, light
medium and dark. Choose as many as you wish and
try to mix up the size of the prints. Batiks are great,
however I find they tend to fray a bit. I use Kaffe,
Moda and Liberty of London.
Please bring a sewing machine that you are very familiar with as I am not a mechanic and will not be able to help you should you run into problems.